Sadly, every year around 150,000 marriages end in divorce. The legal process of ending a marriage can have a major impact on all family members – both emotional and financial.
We at JKC will advise and guide you through the process, whether you are initiating divorce or responding to a petition. We will outline your options at every stage and give you the information and support to make your own decisions.
Divorce is often most difficult for children so we will always endeavor to put children first and will advise you accordingly.
Filing for Divorce
In order to file for divorce you must prove that the marriage has irretrievably broken down based on one of the following facts:
- Adultery – where your significant other has engaged in sexual relations whilst being married to you
- Unreasonable Behaviour where you would give examples of behaviour that you found unreasonable and that has led to the breakdown of the marriage
- Desertion – where your partner cannot be located and has not been in contact for at least 2 years
- 2 years Separation – with your husband’s / wife’s Consent
- 5 years Separation – when you have been living apart for 5 years (consent not required)
Although the divorce process is the same, each case is different and the duration of the process will be dependent upon factors such as the co-operation of the other party.
A good solicitor really does make a difference in divorce settlements. We adopt a constructive and robust approach.
For more information or to discuss your options please contact us on 01923 234 400